Volunteers are important not only for the time they contribute but for their knowledge and skills, their enthusiasm and fresh points of view all of which enhances the creativity and quality of service provided by the MAG and those they serve. MAG volunteers are one of our greatest assets.
Volunteer opportunities will be posted as they become available.
Job Status: Regular full-time, permanent, non-union
Hours and Days: 37.5 hours per week
Salary and benefits: $65,000.00
In the spirit of reconciliation, the MAG recognizes that this land on which we live is at the convergence of Treaty 6 territory, representing the Nahayewak (Cree), Saulteaux, and Dene peoples and Treaty 7 territory, representing the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot Confederacy), comprising the Siksika (Blackfoot), Kainai (Blood) and Piikani (Piegan), T’suu T’ina (Sarcee) and Stoney Nakoda peoples, as well as the Métis people. We strive, in the spirit of the Treaties to keep this a place of trust, friendship and promise. We acknowledge that promise and we invite you to share in our respect for our future together, and to move forward in a good way. Within the MAG’s exhibitions, collections, and programming, we acknowledge the historic lack of representation of First Nations, Métis and Inuit communities and are committed to actively supporting artists from these communities now and in the future.
About the Red Deer Museum + Art Gallery (MAG)
The MAG was established in 1973 as a legacy collection of Red Deer and Central Alberta history and art. The mission of the MAG is the exhibition, research, interpretation of Indigenous & contemporary art and artists of Central Alberta. The MAG is building important collections that focused on the traditional culture and heritage of Red Deer and Central Alberta. These objects and art works in the collections have rich associations and communicative power while representing the geographic breadth of Central Alberta history. The MAG is committed to offering innovative, creative, and thought-provoking experiences through its exhibition programming and well as investigating and broadening artistic, historic, and cultural boundaries, theoretical concepts, and mediums through its programming.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Finance Coordinator is responsible for accounting and bookkeeping, and participates in financial and budget planning. The Finance Coordinator is responsible for the financial management of the MAG, including the following key areas.
- Responsible for the Sage accounting system: data entry, receipts, reports.
- reparation of financial information to support decisions.
- Resource person to the Executive Director, Chair and Treasurer of the Board.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to establish and monitor departmental budgets.
- Development and application of internal financial controls and remain up to date on best practices in non-profit finance, business systems and internal control measures.
- Preparation of the annual budget and follow-up reporting.
- Cash flow management.
- Oversee monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization’s financial performance against budget, financial and operations goals.
- Preparation of quarterly reports for the Board.
- Financial management of projects and produce reports as needed.
- Management of bank deposits and reports.
- Accounts payable and receivable.
- Assist with Gift Shop inventory controls.
- GST filing.
- Preparation of annual audit file and provide support to the auditors.
- All other accounting/bookkeeping related requests.
Human Resources (20%):
Responsible for the administration of all Human Resources functions:
- Group Health Care benefits
- Pension Plan administration and audit reports
- Workers Compensation returns
- Vacation records
- Advises the ED on aspects of HR and benefits for CUPE contract negotiations.
- Assists the ED with costing projections for new staffing initiatives.
Funding and Grant Requests and Reporting (5%)
- Assists the Executive Director in compiling data and financial information for grant requests from all levels of government.
- Compiles data for the CADAC system (For AFA and Canada Council grants).
- Tracks budgets for grant projects.
- Assists the Executive Director in the preparation of final grant reports.
Strategic Business Planning (5%):
- Assists the Executive Director and the Board to develop sound, sustainable financial plans for the MAG.
- Works with the Leadership Team members to develop financial plans for special projects.
- Provides strategic advice on all short term and long-term financial issues.
Board Support (20%):
- Prepares monthly financial statements for the Executive Committee of the Board.
- Prepares monthly condensed financial statements for the Board of Directors.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, advises the Board on financial issues that may impact the museum’s sustainability.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director, assists the Board in developing short- mid- and long-term financial plans for the organization.
- Compiles data for the MAG’s annual report.
- Consults with the ED and the City of Red Deer to manage the Infrastructure Maintenance budget.
- Consults with the City of Red Deer to manage the budgets for the MAG’s major capital projects.
- Prepares final financial reports for capital projects
- Relevant accounting training and/or designation
- Minimum of 5 years work experience and expertise in financial management.
- Exceptional knowledge of and experience in bookkeeping/accounting procedures.
- Exceptional knowledge of Sage and Microsoft products.
- Knowledge of retail and POS systems.
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of not-for-profit status.
- Discretion, resourcefulness, and reliability.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and be a collaborator.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills
All interested applicants should submit a cover letter and C.V. to Shelley Odishaw, MAG Board President: [email protected].
We thank all those who applied but will only contact candidates that have been shortlisted.
Job posting will stay open until the position is filled.