MAG 50th Anniversary
Join us in celebrating 50 years of the Red Deer & District Museum Society
We’d like to thank our community for their continued support by offering free year-long memberships to the MAG. The Anniversary Membership is a variation of a MAG Family Membership and shares many of the same benefits. Get yours today. More info
Events and programs related to our 50th anniversary. Check back soon!
(pictured) Billboard that reads “Never leave Red Deer without seeing through the Museum”. Postcard was mailed to someone in Calgary, Alberta. Sign advertises the Dr. Henry George Museum in Red Deer. Courtesy of Red Deer Archives, P2144
Red Deer had a much earlier museum. From 1907-1922, Dr. Henry George had a museum on Ross Street and 48th Avenue. The museum had originally opened in Innisfail in 1904, but it was moved to Red Deer in 1907.
Dr. George and his wife, Barbara George (Bernard), helped found the Alberta Natural History Society. As such, their museum collection contained numerous taxidermy animals and natural specimens.
Some of our recent social posts celebrating our history